Today I’m playing at the Jerrico Beach Tennis Club in Vancouver just outside the Kitsalano district right on the ocean. This is a very nice private, members only club with a fantastic view of the water and the north Vancouver shore.
This is one of those wonderful Vancouver venues that while playing I get to look out and watch the sun set out on the ocean. Today I’ll be performing in the club house lounge gazing out the windows. Other times we’ll perform pool side.
Finding a place to park was tough! Usually I can find a spot on the street at the entrance to the venue however, today was the first hot summer time Friday and I think everyone here in Vancouver was at Jerrico Beach.
Fortunately I was able to unload my pa at the club and found a pay parking spot a few blocks away. Unfortunately the Tennis Club staff, including the musicians are not allowed to use the clubs parking no matter how much equipment you have.
Once I arrived back at the club it was time to quickly set up and begin playing. Unfortunately for us this is a very loud room with large windows everywhere. It’s very tough to dial in a great sound here however everyone seemed to really enjoy our performance.
At midnight it was time to end our performance, tear down the gear and head home. The ugly part of this gig was having to lug all my gear 3 or 4 blocks to my vehicle. Sometimes being a performing musician, especially a band leader, is 15% is actually playing and the other 85% is lugging gear, setting up, tearing down and driving. But that 15% playing the guitar and entertaining wonderful people in a beautiful venue while watch the set on the ocean makes it all so worth while!